Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

2058 Posts in 165 Topics- by 669 Members - Latest Member: harrietpreston

October 25, 2014, 03:26:47 AM
Intuition Games ForumGamesDinowaursFeedbackDinowaurs Alpha 0.22 – Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dinowaurs Alpha 0.22 – Feedback  (Read 4536 times)
MinusDriver
Alpha Squadron - Special Forces
Dinoteen

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »

Dinowaurs Alpha – Feedback

Concept:
I love the thought of dinos fighting each other using technology and weapons.  I think this will appeal to many gamers of all ages.

Controls:
Being able to control my dino is easy with no learning curse. I like the ability to zoom in and out… the issue I had was I have a scroll mouse. If I scrolled up or down not only would my game zoom in and out; but, the whole page would move. Little annoying and took some getting used to. The screen moving when I move my mouse around the screen made my head hurt a little.

Game Graphics:
I love them I think the look amazing! The background with mountains and clouds… but mainly the moon looks really remarkable. I love the ring of light that appears around the moon really a nice touch.

Either the dino or the buildings need to be larger they don’t seem to be in proportion to me. The shadow from the buildings is a nice touch to the game environment; although, none of the rocks or trees have shadows, only the structures.

The enemy bases should have a HP bar underneath the base on the map at the bottom of the screen.  If I was attacking the enemy base from afar and I wouldn’t be able to see its HP bar; since, it’s listed right under the base at close range. I know the structure turns orange that shows you hit the target, which was a plus when attacking from afar.

I love how the dino slowly becomes a bone structure as he takes damage. Thought that was creative and funny.

Movement:
Couple of glitches I noticed where when I move my dino… he appears to move when I’m not hitting any buttons if he is going down a hill or on a small hump on the ground. Almost like gravity is pulling him downward. It just appears odd since looks like he glitches out.

Money:
When you use your weapons there is a cost involved when shooting. For example when I shoot a cannon the cost is 10 gold. Above me head though I see -10 in red… maybe it should be -$10 instead of -10 in red. It appeared like I was taking 10 damage for shooting my weapon instead of using 10 gold.

Weapons:
Cannon – It looks really good and I love the how the fuse goes down as you charge your shot.
S.A.M. – Nothing  like a pair of rockets on the back of a dino. It looks clean and very possible.
Castle – I laughed when I saw a giant castle on my back. I like the concept of having a large arrow and lots of small ones. But the look of the castle seemed odd and out of place unlike the other weapons.
Cluster Bomb – I love the marks on the side of the weapon. I thought the image of the gun was a little out of place like the castle; but, I seem move okay with this weapon because it appears to fix on top of the dino with the belt. Powerful weapon neat design.
Meteor Shower – Almost certainly my favorite of all the weapons. A enormous satellite with red lights glowing on the back of the dino… priceless. Then being able to place where to drop it and graphics of it hitting. Very cool.
On side note: The zoom goes ALL the way out after you shoot it. Maybe it should go back to the original zoom size it was at before?
Jet Pack – I love how it looks like a ton of items put together to make a homemade jetpack. Whoever designed that I love it.
Law Firm – Not sure why but I laughed really hard when I used this weapon for first time. I love this weapon VERY creature and funny addition to the weapon arsenal. The statue size seemed a bit out of proportion compared to like Naval Ship (Air Strike)
Air Strike – This was probably my second favorite weapon. MAMMOTH naval ship with jet fighters… who you can call in to bomb your target! Just awesome.
Flame Thrower – Neat idea; although, I’m not sure if it should be considered one of the stronger weapons. I’d like to see the trees catch on fire when used. I think that would be a nice touch down the road.

Final Thoughts:
All in all pretty impressive for only being in alpha stage! I’ll draw up some concept ideas for weapons on the dino for fun and share them with you all soon.
Thanks for letting me help test this game.

MORE INFO - Couple of additional suggestions and findings (4/15/08 4:30PM EST)

Game Freezing Up
I noticed the game freezes from time to time. No big deal to be expected in Alpha... although, I was trying to find the cause. I think something to do with the Meteor Gun is causing the game to freeze. It usually always occurs when trying to place the meteor on the ground. And if you try to use the meteor back to back to quickly game will freeze.

HP Bar:
I was thinking there should also be a HP bar for your Dino. I know when looking at him and he slowly goes to all bone he is taking damage. But I have no idea exactly how close to death he is.

Matching Screen:
When you're waiting for an opponent there should be a button to go back to the main menu. As of right now you have to reload the whole page to get back to the menu.

Music:
I love the music at the intro. Do you have plans of adding in-game music later with sound effects? I think that would be a nice addition for sure... just make sure there is a mute button. People always ask for one lol.

Concept Art vs Actual In-Game Art:

Concept Art

vs.

In-Game Art

The concept idea looks perfect the castle is on top of the dino and attached and the proportions looks correct. The in-game model looks odd and just bad.

Cheers,
MinusDriver
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:29:44 PM by torncanvas » Logged

godatplay
Chairman of Markerboard Doodling
Administrator
Dinosaur

Indie game developer, life-changer, entrepreneur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »

Wow, this is awesome feedback!  Thank you, we'll take all this into consideration - some of things you mentioned are already on our list.

Lighting trees on fire is a great idea Smiley

/////////////////////////
God at play -- part of Intuition
http://www.godatplay.com
http://twitter.com/godatplay
SevereFlame
Wrinkly dino

Carve a xD on your face!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »

Awesome feedback, agree to all of it, though I think a mute button should be added for the music because I might be busy watching a Flash movie with sound.

http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/SevereFlame

Oh noez! I'm the 13th member on this forum! I was also the first to reach:

50 Posts - 100 Posts - 150 Posts - 200 Posts - 250 Posts - 300 Posts - 350 Posts - 400 Posts
MinusDriver
Dinoteen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »

Added my comments and combined them to my first post.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:43:17 PM by MinusDriver » Logged

CCM333
Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

I have just a few things to add:
1. The pictures in the village menu is different then what it really is.
2. The running animations needs some tuning (stopping and when I start it looks like I'm running)

MinusDriver
Dinoteen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »

Maybe I'll add that to the list above as well  Cool

TheBigCheese
Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »

Ideas/Suggestions:

1. Some of the icons don't represent the weapon well. The meteor icon looks a bit too similar to the flamethrower.
2. Only the cannon says free, while the rest say zero for the price.
3. One click to equip a weapon. Since weapons are free, it doesn't matter if you miss-click.
4. Already mentioned this, but, custom keyboard layout.
5. Part of the outline on the neck of the dino dissappears during the walking animation.
6. The picture (in the pop-up bubble) for each weapon in the village menu has not been updated for the new art.
7. If you are holding an arrow key and press e to enter the village menu, the animation continues in the backround, and after you exit out of the menu.
8. After pressing e to exit the village menu, you have to click to be able to move. (If you have a strike weapon, it fires it, wasting money)
9. There should be a slight delay when holding the fire button with strike weapons, to prevent accidental firings. (At most half a second. Just to make sure you are holding it, and not just clicking)

That's everything I can think of now.

"If an empty desk is an empty mind, then I must be a genius!"
milskidasith
Dinoteen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »

My one idea: OPTIMIZE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR ENGINE.

Sorry, it needed to be said.

Yes, I am awesome at dinowaurs, yes, I beat the Intuition staff at their own game on a laggy computer, yes, I have more forum posts than you at Kongregate, yes, I semi-personally know the developers after an interview, yes, I will overtake you in posts soon, but you are still worthwhile. I guess. Tongue
godatplay
Chairman of Markerboard Doodling
Administrator
Dinosaur

Indie game developer, life-changer, entrepreneur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!  Yeah, performance is an issue we're always looking that.  Unfortunately, Flash isn't the fastest platform for us...  But we're doing what we can to make it faster!

God at play -- part of Intuition
http://www.godatplay.com
http://twitter.com/godatplay
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic