Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

2058 Posts in 165 Topics- by 669 Members - Latest Member: harrietpreston

July 30, 2014, 05:15:52 PM
Intuition Games ForumGamesDinowaursFeedbackObservations / thoughts / balance ideas / etc...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Observations / thoughts / balance ideas / etc...  (Read 3003 times)
colbycheeze
Egg

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »

Okay here is my thread where I will throw out everything I have as far as ideas etc are concerned.

Hmm...only thing I can think of currently is:

- Would like to have default level of zoom saved to whatever user wants...that or just make default for everyone the max zoom.

- Would like to have one of two things, either: dino starts with a set of weapons purchased and equipped already at game start OR there is a counterstrike style countdown to allow purchases of starting weapons. This will be more fair for slower loading and slower connections because for my bad latency it takes many milliseconds to equip weapons and switch weapons...usually like half a second for the game to register that I pressed space bar, or clicked on the menu and what not.

- Bring the aiming of the meteor gun etc to client side and then send the data to the server...in other words since I have bad lag I can let go of meteor gun on my target but server doesn't register I let go until it has gone like a long ways farther...which sucks.

- Perhaps make the tutorial mode not connected to the multiplayer server? Seems wierd to get disconnected from a tutorial lol. Right...that and the fact that my bullets don't shoot until about a second after I let go of them (which is fine in multiplayer cuz its necessary but its a tutorial...)

- Make a quickbuy setup or something...it takes me forever to rebuy weapons after I die and I usuall buy the same stuff, so it would be nice to like...create a "predone" config that we can equip and it just auto adds the weapons we want rather than having to waste like 5 seconds dragging them to the tiny little circles and waiting another few seconds for the server to register that and blah blah you get the point Tongue Speaking of that...maybe just take out the drag interface altogether perhaps it would be best to just click the things we want (as if they were checkboxes or something) and then hit an "equip" button.

- Give jetpack more boost...perhaps allow for longer jumps for more money...like the amount taken scales based on how much charge (still capped obviously) but I think that would be cool. Currently I don't get the point of it. over having other weapons but perhaps that's just my inexperience.

- Starting cannon is kind of overpowered (so it seems when I use it) I can just lob shots all day and pwn anyone with it because its so cheap. Get close and its like a machine gun. quick clicking cannon > castle any day. (because its so cheap and I can shoot a bunch fast) Perhaps just give it a cooldown or something...that would probably be sufficient. I don't think dmg or range needs to change tho.

- Allow players to "suicide" because ive been caught (AND ive done this to others and in fact make it part of my strategy to try and do this) in a situation where I respawn JUST as they blow up my base so I cannot buy weapons but then the other dino doesn't kill you and instead walks right past you to kill your next building...wtfpwned you lose gg kthxbai. Tongue

Alright thats all I can think of currently. I haven't had a chance to really experiment with other weapons TOO much because I just use rockets and cannon for my uber pwnage, however I do notice that (maybe cuz of my lag?) the carpet bomb thing is very hard to use and doesn't even really do anything for its exuberent cost)

pachuco
Alpha Squadron - Special Forces
Dinoteen

I'm the hiphopopotamous, my rhymes are bottomelss.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »

- Allow players to "suicide" because ive been caught (AND ive done this to others and in fact make it part of my strategy to try and do this) in a situation where I respawn JUST as they blow up my base so I cannot buy weapons but then the other dino doesn't kill you and instead walks right past you to kill your next building...wtfpwned you lose gg kthxbai. Tongue

noes! i love to do that to people... it's more fun!

Quote from: JB
I did not mean to blow your mind, but that sh*t happens to me aaaaalll the tiiiiime!
godatplay
Chairman of Markerboard Doodling
Administrator
Dinosaur

Indie game developer, life-changer, entrepreneur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »

Okay here is my thread where I will throw out everything I have as far as ideas etc are concerned.

Hmm...only thing I can think of currently is:

- Would like to have default level of zoom saved to whatever user wants...that or just make default for everyone the max zoom.
Good idea about the saving.  We'll see how feasible it is to save your last zoom level and have it start there next game.

- Would like to have one of two things, either: dino starts with a set of weapons purchased and equipped already at game start OR there is a counterstrike style countdown to allow purchases of starting weapons. This will be more fair for slower loading and slower connections because for my bad latency it takes many milliseconds to equip weapons and switch weapons...usually like half a second for the game to register that I pressed space bar, or clicked on the menu and what not.
Right now, the dino starts with the cannon.  Although it doesn't seem to be recognized as being officially equipped.  We'll look into that problem.

- Bring the aiming of the meteor gun etc to client side and then send the data to the server...in other words since I have bad lag I can let go of meteor gun on my target but server doesn't register I let go until it has gone like a long ways farther...which sucks.
I'm not sure how safe that is security-wise, but we'll discuss it.

- Perhaps make the tutorial mode not connected to the multiplayer server? Seems wierd to get disconnected from a tutorial lol. Right...that and the fact that my bullets don't shoot until about a second after I let go of them (which is fine in multiplayer cuz its necessary but its a tutorial...)
We'd like to do this eventually, but it's going to take quite a bit of work to make it happen.  This will most likely be a post-release feature.

- Make a quickbuy setup or something...it takes me forever to rebuy weapons after I die and I usuall buy the same stuff, so it would be nice to like...create a "predone" config that we can equip and it just auto adds the weapons we want rather than having to waste like 5 seconds dragging them to the tiny little circles and waiting another few seconds for the server to register that and blah blah you get the point Tongue Speaking of that...maybe just take out the drag interface altogether perhaps it would be best to just click the things we want (as if they were checkboxes or something) and then hit an "equip" button.
You can now equip with a simple double-click.  That should make things much faster.  We'd like to implement hotkeys at some point, too.

- Give jetpack more boost...perhaps allow for longer jumps for more money...like the amount taken scales based on how much charge (still capped obviously) but I think that would be cool. Currently I don't get the point of it. over having other weapons but perhaps that's just my inexperience.
Good point about varying cost of the boost.  For now, I can up the boost a little, though.

- Starting cannon is kind of overpowered (so it seems when I use it) I can just lob shots all day and pwn anyone with it because its so cheap. Get close and its like a machine gun. quick clicking cannon > castle any day. (because its so cheap and I can shoot a bunch fast) Perhaps just give it a cooldown or something...that would probably be sufficient. I don't think dmg or range needs to change tho.
I recently took down the damage of the cannon.  I'm not sure if you tested before or after that change.  Maybe test again and see if it seems better?

We'll have to test this out.  I'm not sure if it's good or bad yet. Tongue

/////////////////////////
God at play -- part of Intuition
http://www.godatplay.com
http://twitter.com/godatplay
TheBigCheese
Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »

We'll have to test this out.  I'm not sure if it's good or bad yet. Tongue

[/quote]

How could suicide be bad? I've never needed to personally, but it would probably be annoying, unless you are automatically equipped with your last weapons.

"If an empty desk is an empty mind, then I must be a genius!"
godatplay
Chairman of Markerboard Doodling
Administrator
Dinosaur

Indie game developer, life-changer, entrepreneur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »

Oh, I meant that we'll have to see if this situation is good or bad, not the suicide feature.

God at play -- part of Intuition
http://www.godatplay.com
http://twitter.com/godatplay
TheBigCheese
Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »

Oh, I meant that we'll have to see if this situation is good or bad, not the suicide feature.

Oh. That makes more sense.

"If an empty desk is an empty mind, then I must be a genius!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic